Tuesday, April 8, 2014

DIY Fly rod and reel case!

I wanted a carrying case for my delicate vintage fly rod but those cases in my wish list is too expensive for me right now. But I need a case for my camping trip this week so I did some research to see if I can make one at home. It turned out a lot of people make their own rod tubes and share their experience on internet. Under $10, I can have a heavy duty rod tube to carry my rod around. After 2 hours wander around the hardware store and talked with people, I got all the parts I need and made the case in about 1 hour. Here is the final look.

Here is the top. I cut a rectangle on the side to fit my reel in snuggly. This part is tricky because I didn't measure it carefully. But after some fitting, the reel fit nicely into the cutting. I wrap some clear tap to help the cap close and open smoothly.


Here is the bottom. I actually bought the twist cap by mistake. I thought I would just make a rod tube so the twist cap will work nicely to open and close the tube. But then I changed my mind and came up with a new design which allow me to have the rod and reel at once in the tube.


I have the SS Clamps and a key ring for the strap. I use a camera strap that I don't need. It worked nicely since the tube wasn't heavy.


The close up look at the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment